Full-Time Special Assistant
AS THE DEADLINE HAS PASSED, APPLICATIONS ARE NOT CURRENTLY BEING ACCEPTED FOR THIS POSITION. THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST IN RAISE DC!
Overview of Raise DC
Raise DC spurs citywide action to improve educational outcomes for Washington, DC, children and youth, from birth through age 24. The organization convenes public, private, nonprofit, and philanthropic leaders and uses data to guide effective practices that ensure every child has opportunities to succeed, from cradle to career. Raise DC is a partner of the collective impact network StriveTogether, based in Cincinnati, Ohio. The Community Foundation for the National Capital Region serves as Raise DC’s backbone organization, supporting daily operations with human capital and infrastructure.
Raise DC supports five citywide goals for District youth as they transition along the cradle-to-career continuum:
- Every child is prepared for kindergarten.
- Every child graduates from high school.
- Every youth who is not in school reconnects to education/training.
- Every youth attains a postsecondary credential.
- Every youth is prepared for a career.
For each of these ambitious goals, Raise DC’s partners have established core and contributing indicators to guide continuous improvement and serve as ongoing metrics. The organization’s “Change Networks” – working groups comprised of private industry, philanthropic partners, nonprofits, and government agencies – meet regularly to coordinate efforts and track progress toward these goals. The Raise DC Leadership Council, consisting of multi-sector public champions, monitors Raise DC’s progress; influences the alignment of resources; implements strategy; and addresses financial, policy, and structural barriers.
Raise DC seeks a full-time Special Assistant to support the work of Raise DC’s staff and its partner Change Networks as they work toward the citywide education and workforce goals. This position offers the opportunity to join a dynamic team.
- Staff multiple Directors, including developing and preparing materials and assisting with meeting facilitation, when necessary
- Manage general meeting logistics (scheduling, preparing materials, securing location, ensuring technology capabilities, food, etc.)
- Serve as point of contact to Raise DC Change Network leads and backbone org.
- Archive Change Network and working group meeting materials
- Manage team calendars for Raise DC staff
- Field stakeholder inquiries
- Maintain contracts/invoices and serve as liaison to backbone’s finance department
- Process staff reimbursements and organize travel/logistics for professional development opportunities
- Manage all aspects of job application process (including communication to potential new hires)
- Other duties, as assigned
- Event Planning/Project Support
- Coordinate logistics and serve as liaison for Annual Graduation Pathways Summit and other large-scale events
- Manage all invitations and outreach to external partners and community members
- Assist in compiling materials for grant submissions, as needed
- Other duties, as assigned
- Assist Communications Manager in editing/drafting external-facing collateral (reports, media releases, newsletters, email blasts, network updates, etc.)
- Update and maintain organizational website content, as needed
- Support communications dissemination across digital platforms (website, social media, etc.)
- Assist Communications Manager in engaging partners and organizing promotional events for special projects
- Maintain all stakeholder lists and email contacts
- Other duties, as assigned
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- Interest in the education, government, and nonprofit sectors
- One year of professional work experience is a plus
Desired Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Clear Communication Skills: Has the ability to communicate (both verbally and in writing) effectively, professionally, and in a friendly manner with a wide variety of audiences
- Social Media Savvy: Familiarity with producing or supporting content creation for a variety of social media and email marketing platforms (Twitter, Facebook, YouTube, Mailchimp, etc.)
- Innovative Problem-Solving: Approaches work with a sense of possibility and sees challenges as opportunities for creative problem solving; takes initiative to explore issues and to find solutions
- Adaptability: Excels in constantly changing environments and adapts flexibly in shifting projects or priorities to meet the needs of a dynamic effort; comfortable with ambiguity and non-routine situations
- Event/Project Management Experience: Ability to organize events/meetings (often independently); adept at liaising with external partners
- Teamwork: Increases the effectiveness of team members through collaboration, constant learning, and supporting others; sensitive to diversity in all of its forms; respects and is committed to learning from others; able to manage/support summer intern
- Dependability: Does whatever it takes to consistently deliver high-quality products under tight deadlines; successfully manages own projects through strong organization, detailed work plans, and balancing multiple priorities
- Technology: Working knowledge of Microsoft Office & Outlook necessary; familiarity with Salesforce or comparable customer relationship management tool preferred; experience using Skype preferred
This position reports to the Executive Director of Raise DC.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary and benefits for this early-level position will be competitive. This position offers excellent benefits including health and dental coverage and vacation, sick, and personal leave.
Please submit your resume, cover letter, and salary requirements to Aisha Shah: firstname.lastname@example.org. Application deadline is Friday, April 14. No phone calls will be accepted.
Raise DC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Our commitment to diversity includes the recognition that our mission is best advanced by the leadership and contributions of individuals of diverse backgrounds, beliefs and cultures. Recruiting staff to create an inclusive organization is a priority, and we encourage applicants from all cultures, races, colors, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, gender identities, military or veteran status or other status protected by law.